Things to do
Explore the Eastern Shore
The rich history and uncompromising natural surroundings of Chedabucto Bay provide you with an extensive range of day touring adventures on Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore and Cape Breton Island including historical tours, sea kayaking, fishing, hiking, cycling, beachcombing, and birding to name just a few. Our friendly Innkeepers will be pleased to assist you in planning your day tour itineraries and to give you an insider’s look at this unique part of Nova Scotia. Our Manor’s culinary team will also be happy to pack you a lunch upon request, to take with you on your Eastern Shore and Cape Breton adventures.
We have provided some of our favourite day touring adventures and recreational activities on Chedabucto Bay below. Please explore the adventure that awaits you when you make DesBarres Manor your Nova Scotia vacation getaway and let us know how we can help you plan the perfect day trips on the Eastern Shore and Cape Breton.
Stretching from the southern shores of Cape Breton Island to the most eastern point of mainland Nova Scotia, Chedabucto Bay is the largest bay on the Atlantic Coast. The Bay’s 600 kilometres of shoreline provide a seemingly endless array of natural and historical adventures for travellers to explore. From a magnificent look off high above the Atlantic where a commemorative plaque is located to celebrate Prince Henry Sinclair’s landing on the Bay in 1398, to secluded coves awaiting your discovery, Chedabucto Bay’s great expanse enables travellers to experience one of Atlantic Canada’s natural wonders.
Things to Do Nearby
Top 10 To Do’s in Summer
DesBarres Manor Inn is a special place for a Nova Scotia summer getaway. Our award-winning restaurant celebrates the fresh seafood of Chedabucto Bay. Match your choice of adventure with a packed lunch from the Inn’s kitchen and explore the secluded beaches, oceanfront trails, breathtaking views and charming fishing villages. And the Manor grounds are the perfect spot to relax with a good book, some afternoon tea or a glass of wine, a craft beer or a cocktail made with one of our local spirits.
With so much to see and do on the Authentic Seacoast in the summer it is difficult to choose just 10 things, so here are our top 12 favourite summer activities at DesBarres Manor Inn:
- Experience the best of Nova Scotia summer food & wine with a Nova Scotia cuisine and wine dinner.
- Grab one of the DesBarres Manor yoga mats for some morning poses under the gazebo.
- Have the DesBarres Manor culinary team prepare a packed lunch for an oceanside hike along with one of the many scenic coastal walking trail.
- Visit the Authentic Seacoast Distilling Co. on the Guysborough harbour and taste the award-winning GLYNNEVAN Whisky, Fortress Rum, Virga Vodka and Sea Fever Rum. Guysborough’s rum trading history dates back more than three centuries and Authentic Seacoast Distilling brings this proud history back to life. We’ll help you get behind the scenes with our Nova Scotia Spirits Getaway Package.
- Get your toes tapping – you just may find a community Ceilidh down the hill from DesBarres Manor on the Guysborough waterfront.
- A leisurely hot breakfast on the deck. Yes, it comes with your room!
- Taste a Rare Bird Craft Beer at the Authentic Seacoast Brewing Co. Tour the brewery and learn more about Guysborough’s proud brewing heritage which dates back to 1659. We’ll help you get behind the scenes with our special Craft Beer Getaway Package.
- Rent a sea kayak or canoe from the Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery and explore the beautiful Guysborough shoreline from the water.
- Or just relax with a good book on the deck and enjoy the quiet and fresh sea air.
Whatever you choose to do on your summer getaway, DesBarres Manor will renew, rejuvenate and restore.
To learn more about all the summer activities on the Authentic Seacoast, click here to go to the Authentic Seacoast Company website.
Springtime in Nova Scotia: 9 Must Do’s!
Spring is a wonderful time to visit and stay with us in Guysborough, Nova Scotia. There’s a special freshness in the air as Chedabucto Bay and the Eastern Shore emerge from their winter sleep. And with spring comes a whole new range of activities from lobster suppers to great oceanside hikes.
Here are our top 10 favourite Nova Scotia spring getaway activities at DesBarres Manor Inn:
- There are lots of great hiking trails around Chedabucto Bay including the Trans Canada Trail / Guysborough Nature Trail which runs through the back of the DesBarres Manor Inn grounds. Our innkeepers will help you find the path with their favourite hiking trails.
- Spring is the best time of the year for trout fishing on local lakes. The innkeepers share some of their favourite fishing lakes, rivers and streams around DesBarres Manor Inn.
- Have the Chef pack you a lunch to explore a secluded beach or one of our favourite nature areas.
- A romantic dinner in front of the Manor’s original 18th century hearth fireplace. Choose from one of our special culinary getaway packages.
- An historical walk through Guysborough. One of Canada’s oldest communities, Guysborough has been continuously settled since the early 1600s and a self-guided historic walking tour leaving from DesBarres Manor Inn will let you experience some of the places that have shaped the community over the centuries.
- Spring bird watching on the southern shore of Chedabucto Bay. There are nearly 140 species of birds on the southern shore of the Bay during the spring migration.
- A tour and tasting at the Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery. Home to award-winning spirits and craft beer, we’ll help you get behind the scenes with our Craft Beer Getaway Package or Nova Scotia Spirits Getaway Package.
- Experience the seacoast with a sea kayak or canoe rental from the Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery. The sheltered Guysborough harbour is a perfect spot to launch a sea kayak or canoe in the spring.
- Or just relax in your luxurious guest room…
Whatever you choose to do on your Nova Scotia spring getaway, DesBarres Manor Inn will renew, rejuvenate and restore you.
To learn more about all the spring activities on the Authentic Seacoast, click here to go to the Authentic Seacoast Company website.
Hit the Beach, explore the Coves!
We’re situated along Route 16, winding along Chedabucto Bay, which Frommer’s referred to as “an uncommonly scenic drive”. Stretching out over 600kms, explore beaches & coves along our shoreline – you’ll have plenty of Day Tripping to add to your itinerary. Grab your beach bag, hiking shoes, camera and a packed lunch from our DesBarres Manor Inn Dining Room and set out for a day exploring. Perfect for birders, beachcombers and shutterbugs, here is but a sample of what not to miss:
- Port Shoreham Beach – One of the most popular local beaches, this long sand and cobble stretch is the perfect picturesque spot to spend the day splashing and sunbathing with the family or to watch the sunset. There are bathroom facilities and a boardwalk for easy access.
- Boylston Provincial Park – Situated between the communities of Boylston and the town of Guysborough, this Provincial Park is a beautiful place to camp while touring the Eastern Shore. The wooded hilltop campground offers a spectacular view of Guysborough Harbour. It’s a must-see!
- Fogarty’s Cove, See whales and porpoises at the place that inspired Stan Rogers.
- Tor Bay Beach has expansive breakers and seals playing in the surf while Black Duck Cove invites you to get wet in the warmest waters in the area. Port Shoreham beach is known for its great beachcombing!
- Fishing Wharves roll out a welcome mat with an invitation to learn about our lobster and snow crab fisheries – or book yourself a Tuna Sport Fishing adventure. And of course, a stop at Tickle Wharf is a must with its view of View Isle a Bec.
- Sugar Islands, Molasses Harbour at Port Felix offers great views and so too does Port Felix with her commanding view of the Atlantic
- Keep the light at Queensport Lighthouse, and read about its keepers.
But don’t miss Chedabucto Bay Lookoff for its panoramic views of the Bay at Dort’s Cove
Hiking & Biking
Pick up a packed lunch at DesBarres Manor Inn and hit the trails to discover one of several picturesque options.
- Trans Canada Trail, Hike or bike the Guysborough leg of the legendary trail
- All aboard! 30km historic rail trail!
- Chapel Gully Trail, Hike the easternmost point of mainland Nova Scotia
- Fox Island Beach, Ask a local how to find the trail to Black Point
- Preacher’s Trail, Trek from Queensport to Cole Harbour
- Little Dover Coastal Trail, Hike the boardwalk
- Trench Road Trail, Hike to Three Mile Lake
- Geocaching, Nova Scotia’s best caches are on the Bay
Fall for us – Top 10 Fall Activities to pair with your Getaway!
Fall is a remarkable time to escape to DesBarres Manor Inn for a Nova Scotia getaway. The changing seasons bring reds, yellows and oranges to the hills that slope down the ocean. And the relaxed pace of fall makes it perfect for people escaping the beaten path.
We share our favourite autumn getaway ideas so you can experience the great tastes, sights and activities of our special region when DesBarres Manor Inn. We hope our fall getaway ideas capture your imagination and your desire to explore the Nova Scotia Authentic Seacoast in the autumn.
- Fall Picnics on Chedabucto Bay. Fall romance doesn’t get any easier than a packed lunch prepared by the DesBarres Manor Inn kitchen. Just find a secluded spot for an autumn snuggle in the outdoors.
- Taste award-winning spirits at Authentic Seacoast Distilling Co. Cozy up by the distillery’s massive stone fireplace and sample Fortress Rum, Virga Vodka, Sea Fever Rum and GLYNNEVAN Whisky. Let us help you get behind the scenes with our Nova Scotia Spirits Getaway Package.
- Learn about Guysborough’s proud brewing heritage. Guysborough is the birthplace of brewing in Atlantic Canada and Authentic Seacoast Brewing continues this proud history with their Rare Bird Craft Beer. Sample their craft beers at the brewery and take a tour to learn more about how brewing got its start in Guysborough in 1659. Our Craft Beer Getaway Package is the perfect way to experience this spectacular facility on the Guysborough harbour.
- Fall Drive on Route 16. Described by Frommers as an “uncommonly scenic drive”, Route 16 from Guysborough to Canso becomes even more scenic when the fall colours come alive. A DesBarres Manor Inn picnic basket is the perfect addition for a fall drive along the south shore.
- Fall Walking Trails. The coastal hiking trails along Chedabucto Bay become a wonderland of colour in the autumn with the Trans Canada trail passing through the back of the DesBarres Manor Inn grounds.
- Fireside Dinners. Crisp autumn nights create the perfect atmosphere for a romantic dinner beside the Manor’s 1837 hearth fireplace. Our Romantic Getaway Package will help get you in the mood.
- Fall Bird Migration. The south shore of Chedabucto Bay includes the most easterly point of mainland Nova Scotia and attracts thousands of birds for the fall migration. A renowned location for gannet watching is the Canso Causeway, selected by St. Francis Xavier biologist Randy Lauff as one of Nova Scotia’s top birding spots.
- Sea Kayaking and Canoeing on the Guysborough Harbour. The fall colours are beautiful when you’re looking at them from a sea kayak on the Guysborough harbour. The Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery rents out Valley sea kayaks and Langford canoes. Take one out and take in the beauty of fall on the harbour.
- Fall Fishing – Bass fishing is popular in Nova Scotia in September. Grab your rod and hooks, and let our team suggest the best local spots.
To learn more about all the fall getaway activities on the Nova Scotia Authentic Seacoast, call or email our team! (902) 533-2099 and firstname.lastname@example.org
Explore our neighbourhood: The Shiretown of Guysborough!
We have such a unique neighbourhood with so much to explore, see and do here along the edge of Guysborough Harbour. Steeped in history and pristine natural beauty – we apologize in advance, you may never want to leave!
Here’s but a few to give you a feel for what you can expect:
- Old Courthouse Museum, Find your family history in the genealogy files.
- Attend a live performance at our state-of-the-art local Chedabucto Place Theatre
- Workout, Swim, play Tennis & more at our Chedabucto Place Fitness Centre
- Meander Guysborough Main Street Shops, find unique gifts!
- Afrikan Canadian Heritage Centre, Learn about Nova Scotia’s first Black settlers
- Jost’s Wharf, Check out the daily catch!
- Join us at our Community Ceilidh at the Jost Chandlery in the summer.
- Go For a Paddle – Rent a sea kayak or canoe at the Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery and explore the coves of Guysborough Harbour
- Pedal Away! Rent a bicycle at the Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery and tour the village of Guysborough
- Sherbrooke Village, invites you to step back and stroll through time!
- Have a Whale of a Time, Port Hilford named home to the Whale Sanctuary!
- Be sure to chart your course with our friends from Destination Eastern and Northumberland Shores.
Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery Tasting Tour
Come raise a glass of Good Cheer with us, at our world-class showcase Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery overlooking the vineyard, hopyard and Guysborough Harbour! Join us for a Tasting Tour (General or VIP), or simply pull up at the bar in our Tasting Room. Tours available by appointment. Please email email@example.com to arrange your visit.
*Note: Our tasting room is currently closed to the public due to COVID-19, but news of our re-opening will be shared here.
General Tours ($20) include:
Embark on a guided walking tour of the facility by one of our knowledgeable Authentic Seacoast Guest Experience Ambassadors. You’ll get a behind the scenes look into our craft brewing and distilling processes. Of course, your tour concludes with a Tasting of a sample of our spirits or craft beers (must be 19+).
VIP Tours ($50) include:
Perfect for the distillery/brewery hopper, or whisky and rum connoisseur! For those wanting a more intimate and extensive Distillery Tour and Tasting that shares greater detail about the science of craft distilling, blending and brewing, our VIP Tour is perfect. Begin in our Boardroom at the Distillery with a welcome video that shares a brief introduction of the Authentic Seacoast Company.
From here we’ll embark on a guided walking tour of the facility, led by our Owner and Distiller Glynn Williams or our General Manager. You’ll see our Brew Hall, impressive bottling room and end in the stunning Still House. We’ll give you an overview of our processes and dive into the art of recipe development and the blender’s craft. To finish, enjoy a comparison tasting with our Owner/Distiller, across several of his favourite spirits and beers (must be 19+).